Friday, January 13, 2012

Freaky Friday Fun 1/13/12

Remember when Astronautilus came up to Sports Radio 1310 The Ticket and rapped that one time?  Yeah, me too.  Here's the footage.  My boy Mike Marshall did the wicked editing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OLwMbMNyKK8


PARKS AND REC S4 E11 "The Comeback Kid" Review
This was definitely not my favorite episode of the season, but it was still really good.  I can't say enough good things about this program.  The role of Ben Wyatt (Adam Scott) went from a deprssed unemployed dork, to the campaign manager of his girlfriend Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler).  This is just a few things that I really liked about the episode.

*Champion, the 3 legged dog.  He could be a Lil' Sebastian type character.  It'll be interesting to see if he sticks around for the long term.

*The presentation at the hockey rink was fantastic.  I think we've all been in that situation where keeping your footing is a difficult task.  Physical humor seems to have fallen by the wayside on most shows, and it was good to see some slapstick from this crew.  As usual, anytime physical humor is used on this show, Andy Dwyer plays a large part in it.

*Ron Swanson vs a cop.  Always fun.


NFL Divisional Round Picks
I'll take the Saints over the 49ers.  Saints will spread it out, and make the 49ers cover them.  This will also open up the running game.  I also think Brees being a lot better than Alex Smith probably makes a difference too.  I'll take the Saints by two touchdowns.

Patriots over Broncos.  That Tebow booger could do it again, and it would not surprise me one bit.  I think McDaniels going to New England to help out as an offensive assistant will hurt the Broncos more than people think.  This has kind of gone under the radar, but McDaniels is a defensive coach this week.  I'll take Brady in the playoffs 9 times out of 10.  I have no faith in New England to stop anybody, but I also have no faith in Tim Tebow doing what he did last week again.  I'll probably be wrong.  He proves people wrong a lot.

 Ravens over Texans...i'm pulling for the Texans.  I have doubts about Joe Flacco's ability to win big games, but I also have doubts about TJ Yates in general.  The Ravens defense should contain the Texans running game which forces Yates to make plays.  Anytime TJ Yates is forced to make plays, i'll bet against him.  Ravens in a blow out...

As far as the Giants and Packers, I don't pick Packers games.  Go Packers!


MLB TRADE: MONTERO for PINEDA
In baseball news, the Seattle Mariners and New York Yankees made an interesting trade this evening.  Seattle sends pitchers Michael Pineda and Jose Campos to the Yankees for Jesus Montero and Hector Noesi.  Hard to immediately pick a winner of the trade.  I think Pineda will come down to earth a little bit in New York, but you also have to expect Montero to not throw up video game numbers in Safeco.  Many scouts suggest that Montero catching would be humerous, so it appears Justin Smoak and Jesus Montero will split time at 1B/DH.  One might think that Justin Smoak would be on the trading block, but I'm not sure how Seattle views him these days.

The aquisition of Pineda gives the Yankees a rotation of Sabathia, Kuroda (signed tonight to a one year deal), Pineda, Nova, and then one of Burnett/Hughes/Garcia.  Yeah, they're going to be good.

At this time, I don't know enough about Jose Campos or Hector Noesi to write about them.  This would apparently open up a DH spot for the Yankees.  I see Johnny Damon returning to the Yankees as a fit, but Carlos Pena is a name of interest to for the Bronx Bombers.  With the splashing that Texas and Los Angeles have done, the Yankees made it clear tonight that they aren't going away anytime soon.


Prince in Texas
There were reports today of Prince Fielder meeting up in Texas.  Interesting.  As the great Mike Hindman said, it's important to find out who called the meeting.  Texas or Boras?  Darvish is the priority, and that deal will be completed soon.  Fielder to Texas can happen.  It would need to be creative.  I think it would need to be a Sabathia type of structure in the contract, and what I mean by that is it would allow an opt-out clause early in the deal for the player.  7 years 130 million, with the first 3 years of the contract costing 70 million and then an opt-out clause after that.  That's all a guess and pure speculation, but it's an example of the contract layout that could make this deal work.  If Texas truly wants Fielder, I think they can have him.  I don't necessarily think it means saying goodbye to Josh next year either.  If stability is still a huge concern for Hamilton, then he could take a hometown discount to stay in Texas without it costing them Fielder.  If I had to predict who gets Prince, right now I say Texas on a long deal with the full intention on it actually being a short deal.  The headlines may read 6-10 years, but it'll actually be a 3 year deal.  All speculation, but this opportunity may be too hard for the Rangers to pass up.

E-Brake Assist
Mike Sirois won the E-Brake this week.  Big Strong Jeremy Moran and I, along with Norm get credit for the assist.  

http://www.theunticket.com/e-brake-1-13-12/

Goodbye. My advice for you today is simple.  Don't die.




1 comment: