Monday, September 10, 2012

3 ALBUM REVIEWS: Band of Horses, Avett Brothers, and The Divine Fits

Band of Horses-"Mirage Rock" 4/10

After being largely unimpressed by their 2010 album Infinite Arms, I was really looking forward to this Band of Horses session.  After receiving their lead single "Knock Knock" a couple months ago I was really excited.  Sadly, this CD just doesn't live up to the hype that "Knock Knock" created for me. It's probably likely that the allegiance of Band of Horses fans didn't like how poppy "Knock Knock" was, but for me it had created higher expectations that I probably needed to have. While many songs on the album have that typical Band of Horses folk sound, they came off rather directionless. I find myself enjoying more of their electric songs. "Feud" is a quick 3 minute cut that is clearly relationship driven. "Dumpster World" is my 2nd favorite track on the album. The raunchy cut about drugs and evil is a fun rocker. Other than that everything seemed really watered down. Maybe it wasn't ambitious enough for me, and maybe it'll grow on me, but for now I don't see this as an album that's going to get a whole lot of playing time. 

Knock Knock

Dumpster World

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Avett Brothers-"The Carpenter" 7/10

I'll never pretend to be some expert on this band. I like them, and have liked them since about 2007, but that's really all I can say about our relationship. I've seen them twice live, but not as the main act. My earliest exposure to them came from my good friend Will Stewart, and at the time I was hearing the really wild-ass Avett Brothers material.  I really like it when they rock out, but I get very easily bored with some of their more beautiful slow songs. Maybe it's my disdain for country music, because I should really appreciate how they will never just play a song with a basic chord progression and leave that as the only substance to the song. No matter what there are always fantastic guitar fills that keep the songs from sounding bland.  In their last effort, 2009's "I and Love and You", they had once and for all cemented themselves in the conversation of indie/folk/Americana bands that you must give a shot.  While I had a few issues with just flat out getting bored during that record, it also had some gems that won't be forgotten.  Again, I was the victim of high expectations. They had brought in Rick Rubin to produce, a guy most well known for his rock producing background. I think I expected a more upbeat record.  With expectations out the window, I took in "The Carpenter" and it turned out to be quite the roller coaster.  I'm doing a track by track, because it's pretty good.

1. The Once and Future Carpenter 5/10

Definitely not how I would have started the album off, but I can definitely appreciate the musicianship and the religious undertones and death themed message. It just didn't do it for me though. I compare it to waiting in line to ride the Texas Giant or something.

2. Live and Die 10/10

The roller coaster is in motion. Excitement level peaking. Just a great song, and very fun. It might be too simple for some, but that is compensated for later on in the album.



3. Winter in my Heart 4/10

Kind of a hazy track. I compared it to getting off the roller coaster. Kind of dizzy. There's an emptiness in the lyrics, but a haziness in the song. Not a bad song by any means, but definitely nothing to remember.

4. Pretty Girl From Michigan 9/10

Continuing their "Pretty Girl.." series is this punchy song. Heartbreaking fun.

5. I Never Knew You 8/10

The background harmonies are so well placed and essential to this cut. I don't really know, I think the word i'm looking for is thumpy.

6. February Seven 3/10

This one bored me, but I think if I found the deeper meaning of the song I might dig in more. 

7 Through My Prayers 1/10

This one bored me even more.

8. Down with the Shine 6/10

I'm pretty sure this song is about Moonshine and the temporary effects. Who doesn't like moonshine?

9. A Father's First Spring 8/10

Yeah it's a slow one, but a good. It's clearly about being a father, and how having a kid suddenly removes you from yourself. 

10. Geraldine 8/10

It's under 2 minutes and is the perfect precursor to...

11. Paul Newman vs. The Demons 10/10

The Rick Rubin influence finally appears in this one. A hard rocking song, and I wish they would go this route  more often. So good.

12. Life 5/10

Sounds like something that would have been on "I and Love and You". It doesn't pack a punch, but it's a decent way to end an album on a gentle note.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Divine Fits-"A Thing Called Divine Fits"

Spoon's Britt Daniel leads an effort with Dan Boeckner of Wolf Parade, and Sam Brown of New Brown Turks. It's not overly ambitious, but it's a record that is simply good. It's not great, it's not particularly memorable either, but it's also not a turd or anything resembling a turd. If you like Spoon, then I have no doubts that you will like this album. I'm glad this record exists, just for the sole reason that it is the album that contains "Shivers". I really, really love that song.

Highlights: "Shivers", "My Love is Real", "Flaggin A Ride", "Baby Got Worse", and "For Your Heart"

Shivers


No comments:

Post a Comment